Wildlife experiences for Prince Hall Hotel guests
Prince Hall Hotel has teamed up with local wildlife expert Richard Hibbert to offer an exclusive opportunity for hotel guests. Richard is a teacher and environmental educator who has lived on Dartmoor for nearly 20 years and knows our location well. He is now offering guided walks for couples, families, groups and individuals staying at the hotel, tailored to your requirements and level of expertise. Richard's main passion is birds, but he has a wide range of knowledge about wildlife and the landscape and how to share this with others. As a primary school teacher, he is skilled in engaging young people with nature and their surroundings, and if you go on one of his walks with your children you (and they) won't be disappointed!
Prince Hall Hotel is in a unique position for wildlife on Dartmoor, and we are really excited about the opportunity that our guests have been offered. Almost all of the activities below can be enjoyed on foot from the hotel without having to get into a car, although excursions further afield can be arranged. There is something to see at all times of the year, and what you can do depends on your interests, but here are some suggested activities.
- Introduction to Dartmoor landscapes and wildlife (Buzzard, Skylark, Fox; any time of year)
- River walks along the West Dart (Goosanders, Dippers, Grey Wagtails, possible Kingfishers and a chance of Otters and Salmon; any time of year)
- Introduction to bird songs and calls (common birds eg Blackbird, Robin, Wren; spring and summer are best)
- Dawn chorus birdsong (birds such as Song Thrush, Cuckoo, Redstart, Spotted Flycatcher, Treecreeper, woodpeckers; April to June) – back to the hotel for breakfast
- Atmospheric dusk excursions onto the moor to look for specialities such as Snipe and Nightjar (May-July) – back to the hotel for a nightcap
- Winter birds of prey (chance of Hen Harrier, Merlin and Peregrine as well as commoner species; October-March)
Please contact us in the first instance and we will be happy to check availability and arrange your activity. The hotel can provide packed lunches and other provisions for longer excursions.
Up to 4 people £50
5-15 people £12.50 per head
Up to 4 people £80
5-15 people £20.00 per head
You are a very good nature teacher and I learnt a lot from you
Shea (age 6)
Thank you for all the wonderful nature walks – we have all learnt so much from you!
Hennock Pre School
Richard really makes science come alive for the children. His passion for the natural world is clear in his teaching and the children really respond to this. He also has a huge amount of knowledge which he obviously loves sharing. Throughout the project the children were engaged, motivated and enthusiastic. It was great to see them building their enquiry and observational skills as a result of the hands on activities Richard laid on for them. The best bit for me was when they started to question just about everything they observed. They wanted to know more about the natural world around them. Richard really brought learning in the outdoor classroom to life.
Matthew Medd (Teacher, Newton Abbot)
Over the years we have been on quite few bird watching and wild life walks
and, really, our evening with Richard is up there with the very best of them.
His enthusiasm, attention to detail and willingness to answer any question made
our walk with him a great experience. He opened our eyes to many different
aspects to Dartmoor and we will be queuing up for more as soon as we return to
Prince Hall. Well done for finding him and adding him to this wonderful hotel’s
Ann Harris, Middlesex